Action Alert: Join NVTC Leadership to Discuss 2019 Policy Agenda for Virginia
NVTC members are invited to participate on a conference call with NVTC leadership from 3:00 p.m.-3:30 p.m. on Friday, November 30th. During the call, NVTC leaders will seek member input on ideas and initiatives for the NVTC Executive Committee to consider as it drafts NVTC's goals and priorities to support NVTC’s advocacy efforts in Richmond during the 2019 legislative session. NVTC members are encouraged to participate on the call and to provide specific ideas and initiatives that help to achieve the high-level objectives outlined in NVTC’s Policy Priority Framework which can be found below.
Please contact NVTC Public Policy Manager Troy Murphy (email@example.com) if you are available to participate on the call and he will send a calendar invitation with dial-in instructions. If you are unable to participate in the call but would still like to offer your input, please email your suggestions and ideas to to Troy Murphy.
To review NVTC's 2018 Legislative Agenda, please click here.
NVTC Policy Priority Framework:
The Northern Virginia Technology Council (NVTC) has worked for many years in partnership with Virginia policymakers to advance a strong, innovative technology policy framework.
As the largest technology council in the country, NVTC members are business leaders focused on the broad business climate of our state and communities. We are some of the largest employers in the state and include many of the most successful technology companies in the world, as well as hundreds of small, energetic and growing entrepreneurial enterprises.
Central to Virginia's future economic growth is an environment that aggressively promotes technology, entrepreneurship and innovation within a framework of forward-looking policies that include strong public private partnerships and regulatory restraint.
NVTC's Policy Priority Framework promotes a long-term blueprint for policies and investments that ensure Virginia remains a top state for business and a global technology center.
Specifically, NVTC's legislative advocacy program will focus on policies that support the following goals:
Competitiveness and Economic Growth
- Enhancing Virginia's ability to attract companies that are seeking to expand, relocate, move corporate headquarters, or establish research operations
- Supporting a comprehensive "Grow Your Own" strategy for new company formation to position Virginia as a leader in next generation technology company formation and innovation, as well as a top destination for entrepreneurs, early-stage investors, researchers and innovators
- Ensuring Virginia maintains its status as a top state for business by minimizing taxes and regulation, preserving right to work, and avoiding negative signals that drive private enterprise away from the Commonwealth
STEM Education and Workforce
- Boosting Virginia's technology workforce through a robust science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education pipeline and by increasing the number of STEM certifications and degrees awarded statewide
- Improving infrastructure, including broadband, transportation and energy, to support economic development and help Virginia companies compete