General Counsel EventPresented by the NVTC General Counsel Committee
February 23, 2012
Raising Capital in the Public and Private Markets and Other Exit Strategies for 2012
Facebook, The Carlyle Group, LivingSocial and other companies may tap the IPO markets as soon as this spring, potentially forging resurgence in the U.S. capital markets and opening opportunities for other companies with exciting growth stories, capable management teams and significant market opportunities. Attractive valuation multiples in an active public market can also create private capital raising and strategic exit opportunities for others. Private equity firms may need to continue to look to the IPO and M&A markets to drive liquidity and returns for their LP investors.
Join our panel of distinguished capital markets leaders as we discuss what companies may expect from the U.S. capital markets in an election year and how general counsel can help their CFOs and CEOs consider capital raising and sale alternatives. We’ll discuss:
- Factors that led to last year’s disappointing market performance and changes necessary this year to produce capital markets valuations Facebook and others expect.
- Why companies go public, growth opportunities after an IPO and marketing strategies including dual track sale and IPO strategies.
- Preparations for a public and private capital raise and for an exit or other liquidity event.
- The registration process, timing for an offering, pitfalls to avoid during registration and ways to make the process go more smoothly.
- Life after an IPO, regulations affecting public companies, and how Dodd-Frank and Sarbanes Oxley affect the relationship among management, boards and institutional shareholders both for public and private companies.
Moderator:David S. Cole, Partner, Holland & Knight LLP
Speakers:Anne Benedict, Partner, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
Don Blair, Managing Director, Raymond James
Barbara Jacobs, Assistant Director Division of Corporation Finance, Information Technology and Services, United States Securities and Exchange Commission
Mary Ellen Seravalli, Vice President and General Counsel, BroadSoft
SponsorsPlatinum Sponsor: eTERA Consulting
Gold Sponsors: Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP; Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto; Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP; Holland & Knight; Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP; Steptoe & Johnson LLP
Silver Sponsor: Federal Publications Seminars
For more information about sponsorships for this event and committee, click here.
1700 Tysons Blvd.