The term “personal information” as used in this Policy shall mean any information that enables us to identify you, directly or indirectly, by reference to an identifier such as your name, identification number, location data, online identifier or one or more factors specific to you.
Who We Are
Northern Virginia Technology Council, Inc. with an address at 1069 W. Broad Street, Suite 743, Falls Church, VA 22046, is the controller and responsible for your personal information (“NVTC”, “we”, “us” or “our”).
Personal Information We Collect
Personal information you give us
We may collect and process the following personal information:
- Contact information, which you provide when corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you interact with our Web site in ways including but not limited to participating in online surveys, registering for events, participating in conference programs, and submitting information, including on any NVTC web-based forms. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address, phone number, financial information and/or credit card information.
- Profile information, provided when you utilize some portions of our Web site. We may require that you register and provide us with your contact information and generate a password. This registration information may be used, for example, for identification purposes, to communicate with you regarding your account with us or to facilitate the functioning of our Web site.
- Membership information, about your membership with NVTC including your name, contact details such as address, phone number and email address (business or personal), job title and any other information related to your membership. Membership information may be provided by you during the registration process, or by your employer on your behalf.
- Financial Information, collected when payment is received by NVTC from a visitor to our Web site, an NVTC member, or the public, we document and store the relevant credit card or other financial account information in our database for internal records to substantiate and evidence the transaction. NVTC does not share this credit card or other financial account information with other NVTC members, other visitors to our Web site, or with the general public. NVTC will not conduct a transaction utilizing credit card or other financial account information without the authorization of the account holder.
- Purchase information, relating to purchases made by members and non-members of delegate passes and event participation, purchases from the Web site, reports, journals or newsletter subscriptions either in-person or via our Web site. Purchase information will include financial information as well as information concerning the content and time of the purchase.
, relating to certification programs, in which members are granted certification if they meet specified educational/employment experience requirements and/or pass an exam. This may include extensive information about the experience/performance of those certified or accredited. Where the certification concerns institutions or businesses, this may include similar information identifying employees and other members of staff.
Personal information we collect automatically
We may collect automatically and process the following information:
- Technical information. For each visitor to our Web page, our Web server automatically recognizes that visitor's domain name. Our web servers collect technical information relating to visitors to the Web site, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform.
- Use information. We collect the domain names to get aggregate information on what pages our visitors access. We may also collect other information about your visit, including page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
The information we collect is used primarily for internal review and content improvement. This information may be aggregated to measure the number of visits, average time spent on a Web site, pages viewed, etc. We use this information to measure the use of our Web site and to improve the content we offer. We may share anonymized experiential information or other data with third parties on an aggregated basis without the use of any information that personally identifies you.
We will combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We will use this information and the combined personal information for purposes set out in this Policy (depending on the types of information we receive).
When a visitor to our Web site registers for an event, our server will collect and record that visitor's IP address and domain name to validate, substantiate and authenticate that transaction. This information is then stored for archival purposes.
Cookies are pieces of information generated by a Web server and stored in the user's computer, ready for future access. Cookies are used to allow user-side customization of Web information. Cookies make use of user-specific information transmitted by the Web server onto the user's computer so that the information might be available for later access.
If you choose to have your information saved, your web browser will store a cookie in your computer in a special file called a cookie list. Whenever you log onto our site, your web browser will automatically transfer your name and password to our server, so you do not have to manually enter this information each visit.
These cookies cannot be used to obtain other data from your hard drive, to learn your email address, or to acquire sensitive information about your person or organization.
NVTC utilizes e-mail as one way of communicating with our members regarding events, news, and other information.
If you do not wish to receive e-mail from us in the future, please let us know by sending us an e-mail at the above address, calling us at the above telephone number, or writing to us at the above address.
We will generally ask for your consent in line with the applicable law when you first provide your personal information if we intend to send you any promotional content via email.
How We Use Personal Information
We will process your personal information, including sharing it with third parties, for a purpose described in this Policy, where the processing is necessary for the performance of our obligations under your membership agreement or as necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests. We may also process your personal information based on your consent or when we are required by law.
We will use your personal information:
- to carry out our obligations arising from your membership and any other agreement entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to update and renew your membership as required;
- to arrange and deliver conferences, events and programming relevant to your specialist area and subjects of interest;
- to respond to your questions and provide related membership services;
- to provide you with information about other events, books, reports, journals or newsletter subscriptions we offer that are similar to those that you have already requested, provided you have not opted-out of receiving that information;
- to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about other events, books, reports, journals or newsletter subscriptions we feel may interest you, provided you have given your consent; and
- to notify you about changes to our membership or related services.
We are headquartered in the United States. Your personal information will be accessed by us or transferred to us in the United States or to our affiliates, partners, or service providers who are located worldwide. If you are visiting our Web site from outside the United States, be aware that your information will be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located, and our central database is operated. By using the NVTC Web site, you acknowledge and agree to any transfer of this information.
Transfer of Personal Information
We work closely with a number of trusted partners with whom we need to share personal information to help us provide the membership services. These include:
- our affiliates;
- our professional advisors such as auditors, accountants and lawyers, etc.; and
- service providers who work with us to help provide the membership services, including data storage, maintenance services, security and marketing agencies.
We ensure that any third party providers with access to personal information provide sufficient guarantees in respect of the technical and organisational security measures governing the services provided and who can demonstrate a commitment to compliance with those measures.
We do not allow our third party service providers to use your personal information for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal information for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties:
Changes in Our Policy
- to whom we may choose to sell, transfer or merge parts of our business or our assets. Alternatively, we may seek to acquire other businesses or merge with them. If a change happens to our business, then the new owners may use your personal information in the same way as set out in this Policy; and
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation, any request from law enforcement or governmental organisations, or in order to enforce or apply our terms and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of NVTC, our members, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
If our information practices change at some time in the future, we will post the policy changes to our Web site. If you are concerned about how your information is used, please refer to our Web site periodically.
Upon request, we provide site visitors with access to contact information, profile information, membership information, financial information, purchase information and certification information that we maintain about them.
Visitors can access this information by sending us an e-mail at the above address, calling us at the above telephone number, or writing to us at the above address. Visitors can also access some of this information through our Web site.
Although we do not allow site visitors to access information regarding their active password, we do allow visitors to change their password on-line. If a site visitor forgets their active password, he can send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a password.
NVTC makes every effort to keep its lists and other personal information current and accurate.
Upon request we offer visitors the ability to change, modify, or correct contact information, profile information, membership information, financial information, purchase information and certification information, and other communications that a visitor has directed to the Web site. Visitors can have this information corrected by sending us an e-mail at the above address, calling us at the above telephone number, or writing to us at the above address. Much of this information can also be corrected through our Web site.
Access and Use of Your Information by NVTC and Others
NVTC is, in part, a networking organization that affords its members the opportunity to meet one another, build relationships, attend formal and informal networking and information-sharing opportunities, interact with potential clients and partners, exchange technical, marketing and other information, and socialize with top officials and technology professionals. Members join NVTC, in part, to facilitate the exchange of information about the vast array of companies, products, services, expertise, and interests represented within Northern Virginia's technology industry.
The staff of NVTC has access to all information collected from the membership, including all information collected on this Web site. A visitor's contact information, including e-mail, postal address, phone and fax numbers, will be used by NVTC to keep the membership informed about NVTC events, activities, opportunities and news. This information might also be used by NVTC to contact visitors regarding their membership status or account status.
Information about the membership, including information collected on this Web site, may be made available to members of NVTC and the public in a variety of ways. This includes company names, company addresses, phone numbers, job titles, and other information about NVTC members. For example, an online listing of members with company contact information is available on the Web site to all visitors. Moreover, NVTC publications often mention individual NVTC members in a variety of contexts (e.g. list of new members, news, accomplishments, participation in NVTC activities).
NVTC does sell mailing labels with the mailing addresses of all of its member companies to members of NVTC.
Contact information collected on this Web site from NVTC event registrants may be provided to event sponsors and speakers.
European Data Protection Rights
For European Residents Only.
If you are based in the EU, under certain circumstances, you have rights under the GDPR in relation to your personal information.
- Request access to your personal information. You may have the right to request access to any personal information we hold about you as well as related information, including the purposes for processing the personal information, the recipients or categories of recipients with whom the personal information has been shared, where possible, the period for which the personal information will be stored, the source of the personal information, and the existence of any automated decision making.
- Request correction of your personal information. You may have the right to obtain without undue delay the rectification of any inaccurate personal information we hold about you.
- Request erasure of your personal information. You may have the right to request that personal information held about you is deleted.
- Request restriction of processing your personal information. You may have the right to prevent or restrict processing of your personal information.
- Request transfer of your personal information. You may have the right to request transfer of personal information directly to a third party where this is technically feasible.
Where you believe that we have not complied with our obligation under this Policy or European data protection law, you have the right to make a complaint to an EU Data Protection Authority, such as the UK Information Commissioner’s Office.
Retention of Personal Information
We will store your personal information, in a form which permits us to identify you, for no longer than is necessary for the purpose for which the personal information is processed. We may retain and use your personal information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements and rights, or if it is not technically and reasonably feasible to remove it. Otherwise, we will seek to delete your personal information within a reasonable timeframe upon request.
Security of Visitor Information
NVTC uses its best efforts to protect the security of the personal information in its possession consistent with this Policy. We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorized way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality. We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected security incidents and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
Violations of NVTC's Policy
NVTC will make every effort to abide by this Policy. If you feel that this Web site is not following this Policy, you may contact Craig Chason, NVTC's General Council, by calling (703) 770-7947.