Northern Virginia Technology Council | Events | VEI VETWORKING Event
VEI VETWORKING Event
May 23, 2019
5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. Sessions and Dinner
The MITRE Corporation
7525 Colshire Drive
Military, Veterans and Spouses
Transitioning from the military to a civilian career is a real challenge and mentoring and community support is crucial to successful entry into the civilian workforce.
The Northern Virginia Technology Council's Veteran Employment Initiative VETWORKING
program provides transitioning military members, Veterans including student Veterans, Guard and Reserve members and their spouses with a free career transition education and personal growth experience to enhance your employment journey. VETWORKING combines elements of networking and mentoring and connects the jobseeker with a support team. Through small group interactions, VETWORKING facilitates the development of career search skills, building of professional networks and empowerment through the support of fellow job seekers and professional mentors. VETWORKING takes a deeper dive into the career transition space than the military’s TAP and over 125 jobseekers have completed this experience.
The program is broken down into two sessions of three hours each on Tuesday evenings at the MITRE Corporation. Each session runs from 5-8 pm and dinner is provided. There is a maximum of 25 per cohort and once signed up you must commit to attending both sessions.
The course consists of:
In partnership with The MITRE Corporation
- A self-assessment using Gallup's StrengthsFinder 2.0 reviewed by a certified coach
- A resume workshop using a qualified team to help tailor your resume to a career field
- Assigning a mentor to serve as a key support and resource during your job-seeking time frame
- Tuning up your interviewing skills to prepare you for the job interview process
- Connecting with corporate recruiters to glean insights on how companies hire and best practices during the interview process
- Undergo actual interviews for open positions with corporate recruiters