Northern Virginia Technology Council | Events | The Greater Washington Technology CFO Awards
The Greater Washington Technology CFO Awards
June 2, 2014
6:00 - 7:00 p.m. Registration and Networking Reception
7:00 - 9:15 p.m. Dinner and Awards Program
1700 Tysons Blvd.
Congratulations to the following winners:
Public Company CFO of the Year: David Walker, MAXIMUS
• With nearly 25 years of financial management experience, David Walker became CFO of MAXIMUS in 2006. In his current role, Walker is responsible for leading the MAXIMUS finance organization. He previously served as vice president and controller for MAXIMUS from 2002 to 2006. Prior to MAXIMUS, Walker served as the senior vice president, CFO and controller for LCC International and vice president and corporate controller of BAE North America.
Private Company CFO of the Year: Bill Davis, Blackboard
• Bill Davis is the CFO at Blackboard, where he has been instrumental in redefining Blackboard’s strategy, reorganizing its operations to better align with the markets Blackboard serves. In 2013, Davis led business optimization efforts that are estimated to have saved the company more than $20 million in annualized cost. Davis also created and leads the company’s mergers and acquisitions strategy and has successfully managed several Blackboard acquisitions that contribute to the company mission of building a better educational experience for everyone. Davis is a certified public accountant.
Emerging Growth CFO of the Year: Robert “Bob” Aldrich, Parature
• Prior to Microsoft’s acquisition of Parature, Bob Aldrich was responsible for the financial, administrative and business operations of Parature. Additionally, he assisted the founders with strategy and managing the company. Prior to joining Parature, Aldrich served as senior vice president and chief financial officer of Q.Know Technologies Inc., a privately-held enterprise software company in the document and content management space. Aldrich was vice president and CFO for NFR Security, a venture-backed company providing network security products. Earlier in his career, Aldrich was a controller at two public companies, IGEN International and Best Software.
Large Company of the Year: John Hartley, SAIC
• John R. Hartley is executive vice president and CFO for SAIC. He is responsible for leading SAIC’s overall financial strategies, operations and processes. Hartley previously served as SAIC’s corporate controller and also the company’s principle accounting officer, where he led the company’s Sarbanes-Oxley transformation program. He began his career at SAIC in 2001 as vice president and director of accounting operations. Before joining SAIC, Hartley spent 12 years with the public accounting firm of Deloitte LLP in their assurance and advisory practice.
Financier of the Year: Tony Florence, New Enterprise Associates
• Tony Florence is a general partner and co-leads New Enterprise Associate (NEA)’s Venture Growth Equity investment practice as well as the firm’s consumer Internet effort. Florence focuses on investments in the Internet and software sectors. Florence is a director of Care.com, Cvent (NYSE: CVT), Moda Operandi, Edmodo and EverFi, and is involved in a number of NEA’s venture growth equity portfolio companies, including Gilt Groupe. He led the firm’s investment in Quidsi (Diapers.com), which was acquired by Amazon in 2011. Prior to joining NEA, Florence spent more than a decade at Morgan Stanley.
Michael G. Devine Hall of Fame Award: Ron Kaiser
• Ron Kaiser has more than 30 years of experience in public and private finance, accounting, and operations management, and has served as CFO or CEO for companies in the information technology, life sciences and high tech manufacturing sectors. Since 1981, he has served as CFO during six initial public offerings which raised more than $400 million on initial valuations and totaled more than $1.7 billion. In addition, he was an executive officer during the development of more than a dozen companies, including the sale of five companies for amounts totaling $1 billion. As a board member for OPNET Technologies Inc., Kaiser served from 2003 through its sale to Riverbed in 2012. In addition, he has served as audit committee chair and board member since 2005 for Vocus Technologies Inc., since 2008 for Tangoe Inc., and as board and committee member since 2012 for The NEAT COMPANY and Acetylon Pharmaceuticals, both private companies in software and drug discovery.
Congratulations and thank you to the following 2014 finalists!
Public Company CFO of the Year
, Sucampo Pharmaceuticals
Robert (Bob) Kramer
, Emergent BioSolutions Inc.
, CoStar Group
Private Company CFO of the Year
, Blackboard Inc.
, 3Pillar Global
, FileTek Inc. and Centennial Computer Corporation
, ECS Federal Inc.
Emerging Growth CFO of the Year (revenue less than $50 million)
Robert (Bob) Aldrich
, Parature Inc.
, InfoPro Incorporated
, Tenable Network Security
, EdgeConneX Inc.
, BoxTone Inc.
Robert (Bob) Latchford
, Optoro Inc.
Large Company CFO of the Year (revenue more than $1 billion)
, Graham Holdings Company
, Towers Watson
Financier of the Year
CIT GAP FUNDS
, New Enterprise Associates
, Updata Partners
, Harbert Venture Partners (HVP)
Platinum Sponsor: KPMG LLP
Deloitte & Touche LLP;
Silicon Valley Bank
Kick Off Reception Sponsors:
Morrison & Foerster;
Stout Risius Ross, Inc
Nominee Reception Sponsors:
Clearsight Advisors Inc.;
Banquet Reception Sponsors:
Baker Botts LLP;
BB&T Capital Markets | Windsor Group;
Capital Search Group, LLC;
CBIZ MHM, LLC;
Chesapeake Group at Morgan Stanley;
Marsh & McLennan Companies;
Robert Half Executive Search;
Media Partner: Capital Business
Printing Sponsor: RR Donnelley
Research Provider: Gartner
Video Partner: g14media
For more information about sponsorships for this event, click here