Northern Virginia Technology Council | Events | NVTC VEI VETWORKING EVENT
NVTC VEI VETWORKING EVENT
April 19, 2018
7525 Colshire Drive, MITRE 1
Transitioning from the military to a civilian career is a real challenge, which is why mentoring and community support is crucial to the success of any Veteran hiring effort.
The Northern Virginia Technology Council's Veteran Employment Initiative VETWORKING program provides transitioning military members, Veterans including student Veterans, Guard and Reserve and their spouses with a free career transition education and personal growth experience necessary to succeed in gaining civilian employment. VETWORKING is a professional development program combining elements of networking and mentoring and connects the jobseeker with a support team. Through small group interactions, VETWORKING facilitates the development of career search skills, building of professional networks and empowerment through the support of fellow job seekers and professional mentors. VETWORKING takes a deeper dive into the career transition space than the military's TAP and over 100 military members, Veterans and their spouses have benefitted from this experience.
The program is broken down into two sessions of three hours each on the Thursday evenings of 19 & 26 April at the MITRE Corporation. The start time for each session is 5 pm and dinner is provided. There is a maximum of 25 Veterans per cohort and once signed up you must commit to attending both sessions. The course content consists of:
- A self-assessment using Gallup's StrengthsFinder 2.0 reviewed by a certified coach
- A resume workshop using a qualified team to help tailor your resume to a career field
- Assignment of a mentor to serve as a support and resource during your job-seeking time frame
- Tuning up interview skills including your "elevator pitch" to prepare for upcoming job interviews
- Connecting with corporate recruiters to glean insights on how companies hire and best practices during the interview process
- Undergoing actual interviews for open positions with corporate recruiters
To register click: Vetworking or go to http://www.nvtc.org/events/
Once registered- please forward your current resume to VEI Executive Director Steve Jordon at email@example.com. For more info call: (703) 268-5145.