April 19, 2018 - April 26, 2018
Transitioning from the military to a civilian career is a real challenge, which is why mentoring and community support is crucial to the success of any Veteran hiring effort.
The Northern Virginia Technology Council's Veteran Employment Initiative VETWORKING program provides transitioning military members, Veterans including student Veterans, Guard and Reserve and their spouses with a free career transition education and personal growth experience necessary to succeed in gaining civilian employment. VETWORKING is a professional development program combining elements of networking and mentoring and connects the jobseeker with a support team. Through small group interactions, VETWORKING facilitates the development of career search skills, building of professional networks and empowerment through the support of fellow job seekers and professional mentors. VETWORKING takes a deeper dive into the career transition space than the military's TAP and over 100 military members, Veterans and their spouses have benefitted from this experience.
The program is broken down into two sessions of three hours each on the Thursday evenings of 19 & 26 April at the MITRE Corporation. The start time for each session is 5 pm and dinner is provided. There is a maximum of 25 Veterans per cohort and once signed up you must commit to attending both sessions. The course content consists of:
- A self-assessment using Gallup's StrengthsFinder 2.0 reviewed by a certified coach
- A resume workshop using a qualified team to help tailor your resume to a career field
- Assignment of a mentor to serve as a support and resource during your job-seeking time frame
- Tuning up interview skills including your "elevator pitch" to prepare for upcoming job interviews
- Connecting with corporate recruiters to glean insights on how companies hire and best practices during the interview process
- Undergoing actual interviews for open positions with corporate recruiters To register click: Vetworking or go to http://www.nvtc.org/events/
- do not have an NVTC user account
- are registering someone other than yourself and you don't know if they have an NVTC user account
- want to add a guest to your submitted registration
- are using Safari as your browser
Once registered- please forward your current resume to VEI Executive Director Steve Jordon at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more info call: (703) 268-5145.
7525 Colshire Drive, MITRE 1
Directions to MITRE Corporation
Member: No Charge
General Audience: No Charge
Walk-ins WILL NOT be accepted.
All attendees must have a paid registration to enter an event. Advance registration and payment is required. Pre-registration will close 24/48 hrs prior to the event. Once pre-registration has closed, all registrations will be considered a "walk-in registration" and will be assessed an additional fee to any payment rendered. Events for which payment is not required will not be assessed this fee. For sold-out events, no walk-ins will be accepted.
By registering for this event, I hereby consent to and authorize the use and reproduction, in print or electronic format, by NVTC or its authorized agents, of any and all photographs which may be taken of me at this event, for any publicity purpose, without compensation. I acknowledge and agree that all images, whether electronic, negatives and positives or otherwise, together with the prints, are owned by NVTC. I hereby acknowledge that I am 18 years of age or older and have read and understood the terms of this authorization and release.
Cancellations must be made in writing and sent to email@example.com more than two business days in advance in order to receive a refund. No-shows will not receive a refund.
In case of inclement weather, please call 703-904-7878 x250 for the latest update on the event.
Confirmations and Receipts
NVTC provides registration confirmations ONLY upon request. If you would like to confirm your registration, please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to check your registration status. Thank you.