General Counsel EventPresented by the NVTC General Counsel Committee
September 15, 2011
“We’re from the Government . . .” - How to Prepare for a Government Investigation
Join the NVTC General Counsel Committee for an executive briefing on how to get your company ready for the prospect of a government investigation, including steps to lower your exposure. State and federal authorities are increasingly training their civil and criminal investigative powers on businesses, large and small. You will gain valuable insight from a panel of in-house and outside counsel with extensive prior experience as, or working with, state and federal prosecutors and state attorneys general. These panelists will share their perspectives on a number of topics, including:
- Essential steps in-house counsel should be prepared to carry out within 24 hours of being served with a search warrant, a criminal subpoena, a civil subpoena or a civil investigative demand.
- The key things you should - and should not - do when you learn that the government has begun questioning employees, customers, etc.
- Hot investigative topics for state attorneys general, including deceptive/unfair trade practices; and privacy/security breaches, including identity theft.
- Areas of heightened recent interest to federal investigators, including the False Claims Act, Dodd-Frank Whistleblower actions; and enforcement of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Areas where both state and federal authorities are flexing their powers, including corporate espionage, theft of trade secrets, antitrust and financial fraud.
Moderator:David Debold, Partner, Gibson Dunn
Speakers:John Brownlee, Partner, Holland & Knight
Scott L. Marrah, Partner, Kilpatrick Townsend
Kevin McCall, Assistant General Counsel, Investigations, Northrop Grumman Corporation
Bill McCollum, Partner, SNR Denton
SponsorsPlatinum Sponsor: eTERA Consulting
Gold Sponsors: Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP; Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto; Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP; Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP; Holland & Knight
For more information about sponsorships for this event and committee, click here
1700 Tysons Blvd.